Abdul Wali Khan University (AWKUM) Mardan is one of the unique universities in this part of the land where the Department of Islamic Studies was established from the first day of its inception on February 25, 2009. The Islamic Studies Programs for under Graduate (BS) and Post Graduate (M.A/M.Phil & Ph.D.) levels at AWKUM emphasize the study of all aspects of Islamic Education and aims to promote teaching and understanding of the Holy Quran, Hadith and Fiqh especially in context to Research. Our Offered Programs are intellectually, spiritually and humanly linked to the sources of Islamic revelation. Along with contemporary and methodical teaching aids, it seeks to preserve traditional elements of Muslim education with ethical, intellectual and research-oriented guidance.
This department has proved itself as a centre of knowledge, research and scholastic pursuits not only for the inhabitants of the province but for the entire country due to which it has been attracted a large number of talented students. Since its inception, there has been a significant increase in its student intake, which has risen from the pioneering batch of 14 students in 2009 to 100 students in the year 2015. This rapid increase in student’s intake is the outcome of, Research-oriented lectures, Publications, Conferences, Seminars, Academic visits and other related activities. We also encourage fostering of links among the people involved in the studies of Tafseer, Fiqh, Usool Alfiqh, Comparative Religion and Islamic Law.
To revive the glorious past of Muslim Ummah by promoting excellence in Research and character-building by providing the facility state of the art learning environment.
To establish Islamic Studies Department of AWKUM as the Centre of Excellence in Pakistan to impart quality education, Ethical values and research through well trained and qualified teaching faculty based on the following principles set by the role model Prophet (PBH).
- To impart quality education and research through trained and qualified teaching faculty.
- To aware, the young scholars with contemporary ideologies and philosophies that threaten the existence of Islamic communities so that they can address the issues of the modern age in Muslim societies.
- To introduce and familiarize scholars with a broad range of Islamic disciplines that primarily includes the historic understanding of the Holy Quran, Hadith, and Fiqh etc.
- To familiarize scholars with the latest Research Methodologies and problem-solving techniques/approaches so that they would be equipped with the basic skills to carry out hands-on research within the domain of Islamic Studies.
- To extend the horizon of scholars’ knowledge so that they may able to contribute to the wellbeing of mankind by arranging national/international level conferences, seminars, symposium and workshops etc.
- To build capacity in the area of Public Policy Development with Islamic vision
- To develop personality by emphasizing on inculcation of Islamic ethical values amongst scholars